*The World Health Organisation recommends that children and youth aged 5–17 should accumulate at least 60 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity daily.*
Active School Week (ASW)
3rd-7th April 2017
- “The ASW initiative is about providing FUN and INCLUSIVE physical activity opportunities for ALL members of the school community. It allows schools to reinforce the message that not only is physical activity good for you but it also very enjoyable.”
- PE Tracksuit every day for students and staff BUT due to school photographs, a change of clothes will be needed on Tuesday
- We are promoting active travel during Active School Week. We ask all students to try and walk/scoot/cycle part/all the way to school during Active School Week.
- Children will be asked to complete ‘Active Homework’ during ASW
- We have organised fun whole school events and we have invited local sports clubs and physical activity providers to give taster sessions during ASW.
- All news/updates will be posted on our school website.
Active School Week Programme of Events
3rd– 7th April 2017
Monday: Move it Monday
- 9:30am: Launch of ASW: Assembly in hall, winning slogan, Active Homework- 60mins per day challenge, drop everything and dance- song: ‘Macarena’
- 11-12noon : Zumbatomics– Junior Infants – in hall
- 11am: Blackrock Hurling and Camogie visit 2X 5th Class – Short Talk in classroom
- 11:00-11:45am: Geraldines Gaelic Coaching: 2X 6th Class. 11:45-12:30 2X 5th Class – on pitch
- 1:50pm: Basketball Shots Challenge (6th Class) vs Teachers – on Basketball Court. Soccer League Semi Final
Tuesday: Try it Tuesday
- Aura Leisure Water Safety Talk: 9:30-10:00am 2X 4th Class. 10:00-10:30am 2X 5th Class
- Obstacle Course – for all classes – on pitch
- 12 noon: All County Girls’ Blitz Semi Final in Monasterboice.
Wednesday: Walk it Wednesday
- 9:00-10:45am: Blackrock Hurling and Camogie: 2X 2nd Class Skills Session 45 mins each
- 11-12:30: The Great Hat Walk Whole School Event. Walk around Blackrock Village
- Workout Wednesday– Playground Leaders in Infant Yard at Big Lunch
- 1:00-1:30pm Zumbatomics Senior Infants – in hall
- 1:50pm: Rounders (5th Class) vs Teachers – on pitch
- 2pm: 6th Class in Community Centre – gymnastics, long jump (Winning jump 3.75m!) and Penalty Shots.
Thursday: Teamwork Thursday
- 9:00-10:30am: Hockey 2X 3rd Class. 45 mins each. 11-12:30 2X1st Class. 45 mins each
- 9:30-10:30am : Mindfulness – 2X 1st Class, 2nd Class (Mrs O’H) 20 mins each
- Track Thursday– Junior Infants – 6th class
- 11:00-11:45 Geraldines Gaelic Coaching: 2X3rd Class. 11:45-12:30 2X 4th Class – on pitch
- 1:00-1:30pm Zumbatomics – in hall
- 1:50pm: Playground Games – class vs class (i.e. 4th class vs 4th class) – outside. Soccer League Final
Friday: Feel Good Friday
- Obstacle Course set up on pitch all day
- 9:30-10:30am : Mindfulness – 2nd Class (Mr Mc K), 2X 3rd Class
- Senior Infants– Easter Egg Hunt
- Free Dance Friday– Whole School at little lunch.
All classes: Active lines, make use of local physical amenities during ASW (park, playground, and beach), gonoodle.com, youtube- cosmic yoga.
Dance at lunchtime, INTO GAA Mini Sevens Skills Challenge